Resources for Veterans
« All Resources

Disability Compensation

Automobile and special adaptive equipment grants

Can a veteran receive financial assistance from VA to purchase an automobile?

yes. Financial assistance, in the form of a grant, is available to purchase a new or used automobile (or other conveyance) to accommodate a Veteran or Servicemember with certain disabilities that resulted from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active military service. The grant may also be paid if disabilities are a result of medical treatment, examination, vocational rehabilitation, or compensated work therapy provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

The grant is paid directly to the seller of the automobile for the total price (up to $20,114.34) of the automobile. The Veteran or Service member may only receive the automobile front once in his/her lifetime.

What disabilities must you have to qualify for the automobile grant?

A veteran or Servicemember must have one of the following disabilities to qualify for that automobile grant:

  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet
  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands
  • Permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a certain degree
  • Severe burn injury
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)

Does VA pay to adapt a vehicle?

Yes. Those qualified for the automobile grant, and Veterans or Servicemembers with ankylosis (immobility of the joint) of one or both knees or hips resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated by a cite military service may also qualify for the adaptive equipment grant.